Thursday, April 4, 2013

Marco Tulio Brenes

Francisco drove the kids off the mountain to the airport in Liberia so they could head back to Alaska. On their way out of town they stopped by a local artist's place so Johnny could pick up some wooden bowls for friends back home. BigJohn and I decided to stop by and check out the bowls since the place is right in downtown Monteverde and within walking distance. I thought we'd find a guy with a lathe turning out bowls. We were in for a big surprise! Check out his website if you'd like to see some more of his work - Artes Tulio  He's got an Open House happening tomorrow at 4 PM if you're in town. Let me know if you see anything you like and BigJohn and I can bring it back to the states for you. If it's small or packable.

 This was BigJohn's favorite. It's displayed outside on the walkway to the gallery.










 This is his cool bookshelf open from both sides. I like it.


 He showed us his workshop.
 Wood he's saving for future projects -When I saw this pile I tried to tell Marco about the landfill at Naknek. He would have loved scrounging through the metal and wood piles there! But his English isn't good enough for him to get the gist of what I'm trying to say. And no way is my limited Spanish going to help. His wife Cris arrives as we are leaving and is able to tell him about the wonderful landfill opportunities in Naknek.
 Marco has devoted his life to his art. It shows in his gallery. This is a translation from his website where he explains his motivation -

"The inspiration, I find in everything around me, my green environment, the need to show the world the ugly, without idealizing my dreams of harmony with nature, external and internal, the inspiration is the cry of my soul, the image from my mind."


No comments:

Post a Comment