Wednesday, April 3, 2013

BigJohn's Lizard Sanctuary

It must be a seasonal thing because one day we just started seeing lizards. So BigJohn dedicated an area to be undisturbed for a safe place for them. Love the little guys! This one has a small white sac that inflates under his chin and looks like he's blowing bubbles.  I think he's an anole but I'm no expert on lizards so could be something else. My books says they usually travel in pairs and the female produces a single egg every 7 to 11 days.
Take a look at this one getting ready to jump on an unsuspecting Hector's back! He walked up to BigJohn on the deck and stuck his pointy tongue out. I think he was tasting the air. I see one running around missing the tip of his tail and bet he lost it to a bird.
 This guy below is a Green Spiny Lizard. I haven't seen him for over a week and I was wondering if a Mot-Mot got him. But yesterday I saw him across the field. He has moved to a tree. Maybe it's quieter there. He wasn't camera shy at all.  One cool thing about the Green Spiny is that it can change its color for camouflage from green to brown to almost a complete black. He has changed from green to brown now that he lives on the tree. They all love to bask on the cement wall in front of the house. Not only do they let me get close for pictures, but I can reach out and touch them before they scurry away. How long will it take me to tame them?


 Can't wait until I get some grandkids down here to chase lizards around the yard! Items below are on sale -

No comments:

Post a Comment